What is Work and Travel?

What is Work and Travel?

Publish date : 2023/12/29
Work and Travel Program offers international university students the opportunity to participate in an affordable cultural exchange program in the United States during their “summer” vacation or “main break” from school. Participants experience American culture and practice conversational English by living and working with Americans and other international students. Through travel, work experience and the sharing of ideas and perspectives, Work and Travel Program participants gain a better understanding of themselves and the world around them – working together to develop a spirit of international peace and understanding.

All participants, including those in their final year, may only participate in the program during their school’s major academic break, which means, participation is not allowed during “winter” or other minor breaks from school. Applicants should be willing to work in an entry-level job paying at or close to US minimum wage.

How to Register?

Register link : https://useglobal.org/wat-register/

After scanning the QR code intended for registration, the registration page opens. Here, with a few simple steps we can complete the registration for the Work and Travel Program. After choosing a username and a password, the registration process consists of 3 steps. Begin with choosing a username and a password. Your username doesn’t necessarily have to be your name but it must be something unique. Do not forget your username and password information because you will need them in the future to access your profile. After confirming the password, we can move on to the next step.


How to make payments?

To complete your registration you have to make the initial payment – go to Payments, for your comfort, we divided the amount into 2 payments – you can pay the smaller amount for beginning. There are two ways to pay: First – select the Pay button – now you can pay with card, wherever you are. Fill up the required information, then the payment cheque will be sent to your e-mail. You can be sure that USE Global is providing high-level security for your payments. 5% Transaction Fee is not included into the amount. Second – select the View invoice button – print the page, and go to the nearest bank. USE Global is not responsible for the transaction fee that bank requires. We recommend Kapital Bank for this type of transactions for the students in Azerbaijan. Just do not forget to send us the payment order after the process to our e-mail – info@useglobal.org. Now when you have completed your registration, we are warmly welcoming you on your trip to the USA with USE Global!

Frequently Asked Questions

  • At What Intervals Should I Expect Salary?
    All participants should expect to be compensated at the same level as American coworkers in the same position. Participants placed in tipped positions should expect a lower hourly wage than other workers, as it is normal in the US for tipped positions to make most of their salary from tips. Employers must still ensure minimum wage is met. The lowest minimum hourly wage is 4$ in Montana and highest minimum hourly wage is 14.49$ in Washington.
  • What Kind of Jobs Should I Expect?

    Work and Travel Program offers international university students the opportunity to participate in an affordable cultural exchange program in the United States during their “summer” vacation or “main break” from school. That's why jobs offered for students are in customer service sector and means such positions like cashier, housekeeper, kitchen assistant, photographer etc.

    The offer participants get is searched and found based on participants’ background. They will have one opportunity to change the job. The Sponsor will look for and offer you a replacement job. But the participant can change jobs only once if it’s necessary.

  • What Happens After I Agree the Job Offer?

    By signing your acceptance of the job offer, you are agreeing to:

    • Terms of the position(s) in the job offer
    • Arrive to your Host Employer listed on your DS-2019 form and begin working
    • Intention to work at your Sponsor-approved Host Employer for your program period listed on the DS-2019 form
    • Housing terms and any housing deposits due before or upon arrival as listed on the job offer
    • Communicate your travel plans to your Host Employer at least 2 weeks before arrival
    • Arrive to your Host Employer no later than your DS-2019 program start date

    Once you accept a job offer, the job will be reserved for you, and you are required to arrive to your Host Employer on time. Failure to arrive to your Host Employer on your DS-2019 form and begin working will result in PROGRAM TERMINATION.

  • What Should I do If I Want to Find My Own Job?
    Participants cannot choose their own jobs if they apply for the first time. It only applies to those who participated in the Work and Travel Program at least for the second time.
  • What is DS-2019 Form and Why Do I Need It?

    The Form DS-2019 or "Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status" is the basic document used in the administration of the exchange visitor program. This form permits a prospective exchange visitor to seek an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate in order to obtain a J visa to enter the United States. The Form DS-2019 identifies the exchange visitor and their designated sponsor and provides a brief description of the exchange visitor’s program, including the start and end date, category of exchange, and an estimate of the cost of the exchange program.

  • What Circumstances Can Lead to Program Termination?

    The Following Actions Will Result In Program Termination:

    • Failure to arrive to the Host Employer listed on the DS2019 form and start work
    • Failure to validate your program within 7 days of your arrival in the US
    • Failure to submit the online Monthly Check-In with Spirit at least every 30 days
    • Failure to provide Sponsor with an updated address, phone number, or email address within 7 days of changing any of them
    • Starting work at a new Host Employer that Sponsor has not approved
    • Breaking a US law that causes arrest or citation, or taking part in an action which could bring program into notoriety or disrepute, such as, but not limited to, threatening words or behavior, sexual harassment, drug or alcohol abuse, or theft
    • Failure to respond to Sponsor’s communication attempts by the deadlines provided
    • Providing false information or withholding information from Sponsor (such as failure to disclose pre-existing medical conditions on the participant application or provide timely notification of medical issues that require ongoing care) Participants whose programs are terminated will be responsible for any additional costs of the early dismissal (return flights, etc.).
  • What Type of Visa Do I Need to Apply to?

    A J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued by the United States to research scholars, professors and exchange visitors participating in programs that promote cultural exchange. J-1 visitors may remain in the United States until the end of their exchange program, as specified on form DS-2019. Once a J-1 visitor's program ends, he or she may remain in the United States for an additional 30 days, often referred to as a "grace period", in order to prepare for departure from the country.

  • What Should be My GPA? Do I have to Pass All My Classes?
    If a student has failed a subject in their studies they should fix it before applying for a visa. And GPA should be above 71. Otherwise, these could cause problems in visa interview.



Add comment